What is Summer University?
Education Since 1951 – Looking Ahead to the Future
The Summer University of Northern Ostrobothnia (Pohjois-Pohjanmaa) caters to the regional need of assisting its people to develop both their own professional know-how and their general knowledge by providing them with the opportunity to partake in lifelong learning.
The aims of all of the activity is that it should take place regionally, and that the course selection should be both versatile and modern as well as arise from a regional need.
In 1951, the Summer University began to organise higher education (university level) instruction in Oulu. This helped realise the need for a proper university in the area, and the University of Oulu opened its doors seven years later.
The Summer University of Northern Ostrobothnia has five regional offices: in Oulu, Kuusamo, Pyhäjärvi, Raahe and Ylivieska.
Of the 20 various summer universities that function all around Finland, the Summer University of Northern Ostrobothnia is the largest, and its annual intake of students in approximately 6000 students.
The Summer University is an independent educational institution, and it organises versatile education throughout the year.
The course selection consists of the following:
• Open university instruction, which is aimed at all age groups irrespective of the level of their basic education
• Vocational instruction, which is organized based on the needs arising from the work environment of various professions
• Language and cultural education
• High school Matriculation Examination preparation courses
• Comprehensive school final year preparation courses
• University entrance exam preparation courses
• Tailor-made courses based on customers specifications
• Developmental activities and services which are linked to regional and international courses
The Summer University of Northern Ostrobothnia is a well networked, leading regional adult education educational institution, which has high-quality and renowned expertise of educational areas necessary for developing regional know-how.
The Summer University organises tailor-made courses, which are designed together with the customer. The courses can be on any of the following themes:
• Developing the work environment/atmosphere
• Communication skills
• Improving well-being and health
• Theme days for various professions
• Language and culture courses
Our aim is to offer our customers opportunities for:
Exceeding one’s limits